A sensor is a device that monitors and responds to environmental input. Light, heat, motion, moisture, pressure, or any of a variety of other environmental phenomena could constitute the specific input. Today in this blog, we will learn about a type of sensor that is used to detect and monitor dangerous and explosive gases: gas detectors.
What is a Gas Sensor?
Gas sensors (sometimes called gas detectors) are electronic devices that detect and identify various gases. They’re typically employed to detect and monitor dangerous or explosive gases. Gas sensors are used to detect smoke and carbon monoxide in houses, as well as to detect gas leaks in factories and manufacturing facilities. The size (portable and fixed), range, and sensing ability of gas sensors vary greatly. They are usually connected to an audible alarm or interface as part of a larger embedded system, such as hazmat or security systems. Gas sensors must be calibrated more frequently than other types of sensors because they are continually reacting with air and other gases. Gas sensors, as one of the most important equipment for detecting noxious gases, provide an essential means of monitoring gas concentrations and environmental data in order to ensure industrial safety. As a result, studies on high sensitivity, selectivity, and stability have become hot topics.
Benefits of Gas Detectors
Gas sensors detect the presence of gas by measuring the rate of change in electrical current or voltage as it reacts to a changing concentration of gas molecules in air.
The first step is to test for the presence of any gases that are present. The sensor measures the voltage across its two metal plates and compares this to its reference voltage. If there are no gases present, then there will be no change in voltage and it will return to its original state. However, if there is a gas present, then it will cause an increase in the voltage across both plates and this change can be measured by a microprocessor which can calculate the amount of gas.
The benefits of gas detectors are:
- They help in detecting hazardous gases and vapors easily.
- They can be used for many purposes like fire safety, industrial safety, and healthcare.
- They have a high detection sensitivity with a low response time which helps in reducing false alarms.
- They can be used for monitoring air quality as well as measuring indoor air quality.
Gas detectors are an essential part of a gas detection system. They detect the presence of gas in the air, and then send a signal to the CPU (central processing unit) which indicates whether or not there is a leak. Gas sensors can be classified into two types: optical and electrochemical. Electrochemical sensors are more sensitive to certain gases than optical sensors, but they also have a higher sensitivity to false alarms.
- Optical gas sensors work by detecting infrared radiation from combustible gases in the air. They are less sensitive to false alarms because they do not react with other gases such as oxygen or nitrogen dioxide.
- Electrochemical gas detectors use electrodes to measure conductivity caused by ionized molecules of hydrocarbons in the air.